Skip to content



Updated 8 October 2019 8:43am

Plantation forestry is an important land use in our region. It can mean economic gains while also delivering some environmental benefits, like erosion control.

A new way of doing things

As of 1 May 2018 the new National Environmental Standard for Plantation Forestry (NES-PF) took effect. This provides a new set of nationwide rules for plantation forestry activities that need to be followed if you have a plantation forest (or are thinking of having one) on your land.

Below are some FAQ's to help guide you.

How will GWRC manage the new NES-PF?

We will do this by:

  • Receiving notifications of various forestry activities that meet NES-PF rules
  • Requesting management plans, if required
  • Monitor compliance with the NES-PF rules
  • Process resource consents and carry out compliance with activities that do not meet NES-PF rules
What is now required from foresters?

It is your responsibility to ensure that you:

  • Notify GWRC of forestry activities captured by rules in the NES-PF. Use the form below
  • Check with GWRC to see if your existing activities are covered by existing use rights
  • Check with GWRC if any existing resource consents you hold give full effect to the NES-PF
  • Familiarise yourself with the new rules under the NES-PF and guidance material to ensure you can comply
What resources are available?

Foresters can notify GWRC of forestry activities using the form below.

The Erosion Susceptibility Classification can be used to check erosion risk and whether activities will be undertaken on land which may require a resource consent

The Fish Spawning Calculator can be used to assess environmental risks when disturbing rivers, streams, lakes, and wetlands

The Wilding Tree Risk Calculator is used when assessing afforestation activities

The MPI website has other useful guidance material to assist with implementing the NES-PF

Will I need a resource consent under the NES-PF?

Below are some helpful flowcharts to help you check whether activities will require a resource consent:

Afforestation (subpart 1) - consent required?

Pruning and thinning to waste (subpart 2) - consent required?

Earthworks (subpart 3) - consent required?

River crossings (subpart 4) - consent required?

Forestry quarrying (subpart 5) - consent required?

Harvesting (subpart 6) - consent required?

Mechanical land preparation (subpart 7) - consent required?

Replanting (subpart 8) - consent required?