Skip to content



Updated 21 October 2019 4:31pm

The next Local Government elections are in October 2022. To check your enrolment details, please visit the Electoral Commission website

If you are passionate about the place we call home and want to vote on the future of the Wellington region, then you need to be enrolled. 

Enrolling to vote means you can have a say on the people who will make decisions on what happens in your region over the next three years.

The Parliamentary Electoral Roll lists all the people in New Zealand who can vote in the parliamentary elections. If you are on this roll you are automatically enrolled on the relevant council’s Residential Electoral Roll, which means that you can also vote at your local regional council and city or district council elections.  

Enrolment update pack and enrolment forms

If you are already on the Parliamentary Electoral Roll, you will be sent an enrolment update pack by the Enrolment Services at the Electoral Commission. If all your details are correct you don’t need to do anything. Your voting papers will be sent to you in the post.

If you do not receive an enrolment update pack you are either not enrolled or your address details need updating. If this happens, you will need to complete an enrolment form. You can get enrolment forms from:

  • Your local city or district council offices
  • The main libraries in the Wellington Region
  • Post shops in the Wellington Region
  • Your local Registrar of Electors
  • The Electoral Enrolment Centre
Unpublished Roll

If you believe that having your details recorded on the publicly available Parliamentary Electoral Roll could threaten your personal safety, or that of your family, you may request that your particulars not be shown on the roll. You will need to make a separate application to be included on the Unpublished (confidential) Roll. Application papers will be available from your local Registrar of Electors.

If you are on the Unpublished Roll, you must vote by casting a special vote. If you have enrolled by the cut-off date, you will receive a letter from Enrolment Services outlining the steps you need to take to apply for a special vote.

Resident electoral roll

All parliamentary electors are automatically enrolled on the local authority residential electoral role for the address where they live. If you wish to enrol or update your details, you can:

Ratepayer Roll

You can be a ratepayer elector and apply to get on the Ratepayer Roll if you own a property in the Wellington Region, but live outside the region. You must also be a qualified parliamentary elector at the property in which you live.

If you are already enrolled on the Ratepayer Roll, your local district or city council will have sent you confirmation of your enrolment in March or April in election year. You will need to complete the enclosed form and return it by the cut off date.

If you are not on the Ratepayer Roll, but qualify as a ratepayer elector and are interested in voting in the area in which you own property, you will need to apply to go on the Ratepayer Roll. You can do this by contacting the Electoral Officer at the city or district council in the area you own property.

If you have not enrolled by the cut off date

If you have not enrolled on the Parliamentary Electoral Roll, Unpublished Roll and/or Ratepayer Roll by 5pm on the cut-off date and would like to vote in the elections, you can cast a special vote. To cast a special vote you will need to:

  • Submit your completed enrolment form to the appropriate Registrar of Electors (for the Parliamentary and Unpublished Electoral Rolls) or the relevant Electoral Officer (for the Ratepayer Roll) by 7 October 2022 and
  • Apply to the Electoral Officer at the city or district council in the area in which you live (or the area in which you pay rates if you are applying as a ratepayer elector) for a special vote and ensure that your completed vote is in the hands of the city or district council for which you are voting by 12 noon on 8 October 2022.