Skip to content

Who we work with

Who we work with

Updated 31 July 2019 1:19pm

Greater Wellington works with other councils, emergency services and health providers to plan for and deliver environmental management in the region. Each authority covers different areas and different types of pollution. For example the Greater Wellington Harbours department specialises in marine pollution. There are many agencies and departments involved in certain aspects of pollution control. For example the city council is responsible for the storm water system but Greater Wellington takes charge of what comes out (i.e. contaminates washed down storm water pipes discharging into streams).

See below for a list of key contacts


Telephone number
Upper Hutt City Council 04 527 2169
Hutt City Council 04 570 6666
Wellington City Council 04 499 4444
Porirua City Council 04 237 5089
Kapiti Coast District Council 04 296 4700
Masterton District Council 06 370 6300
South Wairarapa District Council 06 306 9611
Carterton District Council 06 379 4030
NZ Fire Service 111
NZ Police 111
Department of Conservation 0800 36 24 68 (conservation emergencies)
Department of Labour 04 915 90072
Regional Public Health (04) 570 9002
Car washing to stormwater
Car washing to stormwater causes a lot of problems