Skip to content

Resource consents

Resource consents

Updated 5 July 2018 3:32pm

Mana whenua and Greater Wellington have an important partnership, which recognises the role and responsibilities of mana whenua as kaitiaki (guardians) within their own boundaries and particularly within their sites of significance. Mana whenua need to be consulted when you apply for resource consent.

Your discussions with mana whenua authorities, and the resulting written approval or accommodations, will form part of your application.

What happens if I don’t consult mana whenua before I apply?

If you don’t consult mana whenua as part of your application process, they will be consulted afterwards, which can slow the process down.

Whether your project is grouped as a non-notified, limited notification or notified application, you will need to talk to mana whenua as part of the process.

If you did not receive written approval from the relevant mana whenua iwi, we will send copies of your application to the mana whenua partners so they have a chance to raise any concerns they may have.

In order to save time, effort and money, and ensure you are following the proper process, we recommend you contact the relevant mana whenua iwi as early as possible as part of your initial consultation process.

Which mana whenua authority do I talk to?

Each mana whenua authority has a specific physical area of focus, but there is sometimes an overlap when it comes to the boundaries. Depending on where your project is taking place you may need to consult one or more of our mana whenua partners.

We recommend picking up the phone and calling them, or going to see them in person, rather than emailing or writing a letter.

Any consultation can be a lengthy process, so get in touch with them sooner rather than later. Don’t leave this important part to the last minute!

Alternatively, you can view this map of iwi boundaries in full-page mode.

If you are not sure which mana whenua authority to speak to, we are happy to help you through this process. Contact the Resource Consents Advisor by calling 0800 496734 or e-mail

Will there be a cost?

In some cases, mana whenua may choose to recover the costs of consultation. To avoid confusion, ask about possible costs before you start.

Cultural impact assessments

A cultural impact assessment is a report that is prepared to consider and assess the potential impacts of an activity on the cultural values within an area.

If activities cannot be avoided in sites with significant mana whenua values, the relevant iwi authority or authorities will undertake a cultural impact assessment. This will determine if the activities will have more than minor adverse effects on the values.

Iwi management plans

Iwi management plans (IMP) are planning documents that are:

  • Recognised by an iwi authority
  • Relevant to the resource management issues of the region
  • Lodged with the relevant local authority

They must be taken into account when preparing or changing regional policy statements and regional and district plans. They are used by iwi hapū to express kaitiakitanga.

IMPs are often holistic documents that cover more than Resource Management Act matters. They may assume a variety of shapes and forms; from formal planning documents similar to council policy documents, to more informal statements of iwi policies.

IMPs can:

  • Address economic, social, political and cultural issues in addition to environmental and resource management issues
  • Involve a single issue or resource such as freshwater or Māori heritage, or provide a regional assessment of issues of significance to iwi/hapū in a given area. Visit the the Ministry of Environment for more information.