Skip to content

Swing moorings

Swing moorings

Updated 30 September 2021 2:43pm

Swing moorings should be viewed as a last resort for boat berthage. Although much cheaper, in the frequent strong prevailing winds of this region they offer the least protection to the boat and there is the additional difficulty of getting to and from them. Every year some boats break their moorings and get washed up on the shore, often suffering severe damage.

GW Harbours administers the swing mooring areas to ensure that the space is used most effectively and boats are suitably positioned within the areas.

New swing mooring licence system

As of 31 July 2019, GWRC are introducing a swing mooring licence system to replace the existing Resource Consent process.

The licences are valid for ten years and there is a “once off application fee” for new moorings of $172.50 and an annual admin fee of $138, which are both payable in advance.

Existing mooring holders will not be required to pay the application fee. 

Current Resource Consents will be honoured until their expiry date. 

This new initiative is being implemented to create efficiencies.

  • No upfront resource consent fee of $724.50 as well as the current annual licence fee of $80
  • Instead one annual fee of $138
  • Easier to understand/less paper work
  • Only pay for the duration of stay (less than 10 years)

Please free to email us at if you have any other queries.

Subject to conditions which are found in the application form.

Finding a swing mooring

If you wish to purchase an existing mooring, view the listings in the boating section of Trade Me.

You may also find moorings advertised on the local boating clubs noticeboards. If you intend to transfer ownership of an existing mooring you will need to complete a Transfer of Licence/permit form that is signed by both the old and new owners. 

If you wish to place a new mooring, you will need to go through the Swing Mooring Licence process. To apply for a licence, please complete the application form and contact GW Harbours on 04 830 4160 during office hours.

Read our recommendations for mooring construction, or contact us for more information. You either need to lay this equipment yourself or contract someone to do it for you.

To apply for a licence, please complete the Swing Mooring application forms and deposit the appropriate fees found on the application form.

Swing mooring inspections

The swing mooring’s resource consent requires that the swing mooring equipment (mooring chain, buoy and joining shackles etc) is to be maintained in a safe and efficient condition and be inspected at least ever two years. Most swing moorings that fail have not been maintained adequately.

Since 1 July 2006, mooring inspections need to be carried out by a Council approved mooring inspector:

Council approved mooring inspector list

Underwater Solutions Ltd
Matt Fabish
Ph: 021 558 991
PO Box 30 624
Lower Hutt 5011

Wilson Underwater Services Ltd
Murray Wilson
Ph: 04 390 1157
Ph: 021 440 420

Undersea Construction Ltd
PO Box 31081
Lower Hutt
Ph: 0274 438 621
Ah: 04 565 3866

Total Aqua Labour Ltd
Total Aqua Labout Limited
Ritchie Haagh
Ph: 021 348 372

To assist with this we have created an inspection sheet for moorings. This will ensure all our contact details are up to date as well as a record that all parts of the mooring have been inspected.

Sub-leasing your swing mooring

Swing moorings may only be sub-leased subject to Greater Wellington Regional Council approval. Please contact GW Harbours first to confirm that the new boat intended to go on the swing mooring is not too big for the site or the existing swing mooring equipment.

If you have a boat on your swing mooring that is not the vessel shown on your swing mooring account, please advise the new details so that we can update our records.

Also, your mooring needs to clearly show the allocated mooring buoy, which is numbered.

Change of address

If your contact details change, please contact GW Harbours on 04 830 4160 during office hours or email us.

Sometimes we need to contact swing mooring owners urgently, particularly when a boat breaks free and has gone ashore. Valuable time and money (often yours) can be lost if we do not have your correct contact details.

No longer need your mooring?

If you no longer want your mooring there are two options. Find someone who would like the mooring either by advertising or contact us as we may have someone interested or surrender the mooring. To surrender the mooring you need to remove the mooring from the water and complete this form.