Rule 38 Minor sand and gravel extraction
Our services / Plans, policies and publications / Regional plans, policies and strategies / Regional Freshwater Plan / Regional Freshwater Plan - regional rules / Rules about activities in the beds of lakes and rivers / Rule 38 Minor sand and gravel extraction
The extraction from a river bed, greater than five metres in width, of sand, shingle, gravel, or rock of less than:
is a permitted activity provided it complies with the conditions specified below.
(1) The sand, shingle, gravel, or rock shall be extracted from an area of the river bed not covered by water at the time of extraction.
(2) No vegetation is disturbed or damaged.
(3) The area from which the material is extracted shall not be excavated to a depth of greater than half a metre.
(4) The area from which the material is extracted shall be smoothed over after use so that there are no mounds, depressions, steep cut banks, or edges left on the river or lake bed.
(5) No contaminants (including but not limited to oil, petrol, diesel, paint, or solvent) shall be released onto the bed from equipment being used for the operation, and no refuelling of equipment shall take place on any area of river or lake bed.
(6) There shall be no machinery within the area of river bed covered by water while the activity is in progress.