Rule 36 Clearance of flood debris from rivers and lakes
Our services / Plans, policies and publications / Regional plans, policies and strategies / Regional Freshwater Plan / Regional Freshwater Plan - regional rules / Rules about activities in the beds of lakes and rivers / Rule 36 Clearance of flood debris from rivers and lakes
The disturbance of any river or lake bed associated with clearing flood debris that poses a flood or erosion hazard or for the purposes of protecting structures, is a permitted activity, provided it complies with the conditions specified below.
(1) Public access shall not be restricted to an extent or for a period greater than necessary to complete the clearance.
(2) All reasonable steps shall be taken to minimise the release of sediment to water during the activity.
(3) No contaminants (including but not limited to oil, petrol, diesel, paint, or solvent) shall be released to water from equipment being used for the operation, and no refuelling of equipment shall take place on any area of river or lake bed.
(4) Any debris cleared shall be removed from the river or lake bed and any material excavated from the river and lake bed shall not be mounded up so that it forms a barrier to water movement.
(5) All equipment and materials used for the clearance operation shall be removed from the river or lake bed on completion of the operation.