Updated 3 December 2020 1:02pm
WGN200229 – Porirua Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) consent application
Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) has received a resource consent application from Wellington Water Limited (WWL) on behalf of Porirua City Council (PCC) to renew permits related to the operation of the Porirua Wastewater Treatment Plant, specifically:
- a coastal permit to discharge treated and partially treated wastewater from the Porirua WWTP to the coast, and
- a discharge permit to discharge contaminants to air from the Porirua WWTP.
GWRC are currently working through the following steps prior to public notification of the consent application:
- GWRC has engaged a number of experts to undertake technical reviews of the application. Those areas of the application being reviewed are the dispersion modelling, ecological effects and effects on public health.
- GWRC has issued a request for further information from the applicant. The applicant has indicated they are likely to respond to this request for further information in late January 2021.
- Once GWRC receives the response to the further information request, our technical reviewers will finalise their reviews.
- The application, including any further information received from the applicant and GWRC technical reviews, will then be notified so the public can make submissions. This is likely to occur between March and June 2021.
Due to the level of public interest in this application, we have made the application documents available for you to read prior to public notification of the application.
- The version of the documents currently available on this website may be superseded prior to public notification.
- GWRC and the applicant will not be accepting any submissions on this application until the application has been publicly notified in accordance with the RMA.
- Public notification of this application will occur in local and regional newspapers, as well as on the GWRC website.